Published on Apr 22, 2013
City of Roseville, CA - Police Department - Don't be a victim of theft
Also from one of our neighborhood beat officers - these tips:
"I am Officer Bob Abbott with the Roseville Police Department. I normally work day shift patrol in beat 6, which includes the West Park Fiddyment Farms neighborhood.
I have reviewed the recent crime statistics for the neighborhood and have noticed there have been several reported incidents of thefts from both locked and unlocked
vehicles. The purpose of this email and my goal is to lower the risk of having property stolen from our vehicles or having our vehicles broken into.
I would like to provide some tips for the neighborhood as a reminder, that can prevent some of the occurrences of this crime:
1. Do not leave valuables or anything that will attract attention in plain view no matter where you park your car. It only takes seconds for a thief to break a window and grab property.
2. Take all valuables with you, or place them in your trunk (if your car has a trunk) prior to reaching your destination. You never know when someone is watching you.
3. Do not leave signs that there may be valuables in your car, like windshield suction cups that hold GPS systems.
4 If you have a car alarm or other anti theft device , utilize it they do work.
5. Lock your car and make sure all the windows are rolled all the way up.
6. Choose your parking spot wisely. Thieves are looking for vehicles to enter with the lowest probability of being seen.
7. Report any suspicious activity that you see in your neighborhood. It is ok if we end up contacting an innocent person, all the better if not.
8. If you have been victimized, call the police immediately and be prepared to provide the most complete description of your stolen items.
Commonly stolen and very tempting items for a thief to steal include cell phones, cameras, mobile GPS devices, laptop computers and tablets, money, purses, wallets and stereo equipment.
If anyone has any questions or would like to contact me further, my department cell phone number is 916-871-3260. I can also be reached at email@example.com"