By: Rob Baquera, Public Information Officer, Roseville Police Department
2020 has been a year of great change, including how we shop for groceries, restaurant meals, and gifts. While some stores are open and welcome customers, many of us will be doing our holiday shopping online or sending digital gift cards. Thieves and criminals are always looking for easy targets and the holidays are well known for “porch thieves” or criminals that steal packages from people’s front porches. There are several tips you can follow to help protect your packages and holiday experience.
- As you order from certain online retailers, try to select the option for discreet packaging. It’s best if thieves don’t know what you’re ordering or what is waiting to be picked up.
- If you’re able to specify delivery location (on the side of the house, out of view, under the bench, etc.) try to use those instructions to help obscure the view of delivered packages.
- If you’re able to confirm when an item will be delivered (either between a specified time, or while it’s enroute) try to be ready for the delivery, including contactless deliveries.
- Track your packages using tracking codes – if your item is scheduled to be delivered on a certain day, try to regularly check your porch so that you can retrieve it as soon as possible.
- Avoid leaving packages outside overnight.
- If you’re going to be out of town or unable, as a neighbor or friend to grab the package for you before a porch thief has an opportunity to snag it.
- An easy and convenient way to shop is curbside pickup. Many stores and restaurants offer opportunities to order directly from the store and then pick up your purchase without having to leave items unattended in your vehicle or left on your porch.
- Sign up on the US Post Office website for Informed Delivery. You’ll receive an email with scanned images of most items (letters and package tracking information) that are scheduled to be delivered to you.
If you have an item that says it was delivered but you have not received it, contact the store you purchased it from to confirm delivery.
If necessary, please file a crime report on the Roseville Police Department website: