March 15, 2016 7:00-8:30
A) Future meetings: It was decided that we will continue to meet throughout the summer. Sue Van Zant will check with St. John’s Episcopal Church for June, July, and possibly August meetings and then secure Chilton Middle School through the end of the year.
B) A summary of the Elementary School presentation from the WP/FF NA Board meeting of March 8, 2016 was discussed. (That summary can be found on the NA website, Facebook Page and/or Next Door.)
C) Issues: We will be composing questions to be sent to the Superintendent and staff as follows:
1) Can the West Roseville residents who already pay on a bond for the 6th High School be made to pay on another bond (November ballot bond) for the same reason?
2) What descriptive language will be on the November ballot regarding the dispersal of the monies?
3) What is the status of the monies collected from West Roseville developers and Mello Roos that have been collected over the past years?
4) When monies are collected from West Roseville Mello Roos, developers, bonds, etc., for the building of the High School, in what financial entity are those funds held?
5) The $115 million measure for the school building project translated into a tax rate of $26.29 per $100,000 of assessed value each year for property owners. The RJUHSD letter dated 6/17/2014 states "maximum taxpayer rate for all bond issuances--$38.68 per $100,000 of assessed valuation". If tax rates continue to rise, has the current rate been inflated over the original bond estimates?
6) The RJUHSD letter of 6/17/2014 also states that only one bond had been sold, in May 2011, which generated $4,637,000 net to the district, and helped pay in part for the land acquisition. The independent audit report shows the bond was $4,885,624, so there seems to be a $250,000 overage. Where did that money go?
7) What was the purchase price of the 6th High School property?
D) The committee is working with the District to promote a $100 million School Bond, which will be voted on at the School Board meeting. From there, we will work with the entity that will promote the Bond passage. Suggestions to work on will be promoting the Bond through the schools by working on fundraisers at the School level. Perhaps having a booth at the school events was suggested. There are various Turkey Trots and carnivals planned by the Schools in the area.
E) The members present who are on the Steering Committee for the 6th High School discussed our shared purpose. The Steering Committee is discussing steps by the District to outfit the school with desks, etc., and in future work on school colors and mascot, etc. The Steering Committee members will continue to share information from future meetings at this meeting.
F) We discussed putting together a forum for School Board candidates for our August Meeting on August 16, 2016. The final filing date for candidates is August 12, 2016. We will look into this possibility and compose questions and find a moderator.
Thank You to all who attended! Your input is valuable.