1) Guest Speaker: Ron Severson, RJUHSD Superintendent, Shannon Blockton, Communications Coordinator, and Paige Stauss, President of the School Board
The Superintendent presented:
- That the School Bond $96 million initiative passed unanimously at the School Board meeting on June 14, 2016. The Bond proposal will be voted on in the November ballot.
- A PowerPoint presentation outlining the reasons for the Bond to be viable for the whole school district and the needed improvements and monies needed for the building of the Sixth high school and the educational programs that will prepare students for the future job market
- That the language of the Bond initiative is still being worked out.
- That there will be a volunteer oversight committee to maintain the integrity of the Bond issuances and it will be a continuous committee throughout the life of the Bond. Contact the District for information.
- That the public should contact Shannon Blockton at RJUHSD to volunteer for the Bond campaign.
- That Susan Rohan, soon to be Roseville’s Mayor, will head the Bond Committee.
- The results of the poll have been outlined in a booklet titled: “Building the Foundation for Success.” Shannon brought several copies.
- Loren Cook approached the Superintendent and Paige Stauss about the monies from Mello Roos that have been collected over many years. The purpose is to collect monies for Schools and Police and Fire. He asked if they had looked into these monies. Ron S. responded that they have not received any money from the City, who holds those funds.
- One of the attendees suggested the Board look at other alternatives for building the school, namely corporations and hospitals in the area. He said these entities have built schools in the Bay Area.
2) Elementary School Updates: The framing is now being built for the newest school in WestPark and is still slated to open in Fall 2018. Builders are the developers: WestPark Communities and Signature Properties.
3) 6th High School Steering Committee met on June 1, 2016: Dan reported that the Superintendent gave the same presentation as tonight’s here.
4) Next Meeting: We will meet at St. John’s Episcopal Church, 2351 Pleasant Grove Blvd, Roseville on July 19, 2016. In September, meetings will resume at Chilton Middle School.