The meeting was held at 7:00 PM at Chilton Middle School Library.
Superintendent Ron Severson was present to update the Committee on the progress toward a high school build in West Roseville. The 6th High School Status-February 2016 outline and the Fall 2015 Projections by Attendance are posted along with this summary.
- The RJUHSD Board of Trustees and the Leadership are moving forward to place a $100 Million Bond on the November 2016 ballot.
- This will be district wide and cover approximately $30 Million toward the Phase One construction money gap of the 6th High School.
- The other $70 Million will cover deferred maintenance and facility improvement for the other high schools in the district. Per Joe Landon of the District, this bond is a 30 year bond.
- The target date is to break ground in 2018 and have Phase One complete in 2020. This phase will start with 9th and 10th graders.
- Architectural design work is almost completed.
- The School Board must vote to approve the Bond proposal at the last meeting in June. After that, an election committee will be formed.
- The Schools Committee for FFNA and WNA will be needed to help pass the Bond. Some strategies are to network, get the word out throughout Roseville, Antelope, etc., and use students at the middle schools to campaign. The Committee will strategize at future meetings as to how we can best support the passing of the Bond.
- Mr. Severson will return to the meetings in perhaps May and August to update on progress. He will use his District Steering Committee to work on the high school facility and program designs.
- As to bus routes, the School Board is reducing the fare for a year to $50. beginning in the Fall 2016. Anyone with comments on bus route problems or suggestions to improve routes is urged to contact the District Contact. (see Status handout for contact person.)
Other issues discussed:
- The executive Board members will post, on NA websites and Nextdoor, a summary of the meetings within 48 hours of the meeting. From there, everyone can respond or comment on Nextdoor and social media. We ask that anyone attending the meeting refrain from posting comments until the minutes are posted.
- Next meeting for the District Steering Committee is Thursday, February 25, 2016 at 6 P.M. at the District Office Board Room. Anyone willing to attend all meetings and commit to participate is invited.
- The next elementary school to be built in WestPark will be discussed at the FFNA/WNA joint Board meeting on March 8th at Chilton Library, 7 P.M. The Superintendent of the Roseville City School District will speak.
- The next Schools Committee Meeting is on Tuesday, March 15, 2016 at 7-8:30 P.M. at Chilton Library.
Download a copy of these minutes with the Superintendent's Speaking points, Project Timeline, and Projected Attendance by High School below: